DANCE – RITUAL – PERFORMANCE: Embodying the life force
(an online workshop by Valentina Lacmanović)
Lecturer: Valentina Lacmanović, interdisciplinary artist (Dance, Video and
Time: Spring 2021
The goal of the workshop is to attempt to understand how dance was and still is a major medium for
connecting with our own humanity and how it becomes a survival technique, a coping mechanism for
physical and mental health. And – what makes it Art?
Valentina will lead the participants through 3 major topics: dance, ritual and performance by discussing the corresponding historic and geographic references, offering alternative perspectives to the dominant Western definitions. At the end of each session there will be a task for everyone to complete and present during the workshop.
This workshop is open to anyone interested in dance, dance anthropology (ethnochoreology), movement, art therapy and performance.
At the end of the cycle participants will have new elements in order to diversify and challenge their own practice.
- dance as a survival tool for marginalised groups and as relief from social pressure
- consciousness, awareness, (in)voluntary movement
- classical, folkloric, ritual and contemporary dance
- when does movement become a dance?
- role of the dance in rituals: shamanic practices, religious rapture, dance as prayer
- the role of performance in ritual
- how the Performing Arts evolved from ritual
- how contemporary performance ritualises the action
- transcending the body
- losing and finding of Self – decomposition and recomposition
- ontology of belief
- working definition of Performance
- differences between Performing Arts and Contemporary Performance Art
- how dance and ritualisation permeate contemporary performance
- spiritual aspects of Performance Art
- alterations in consciousness during performance in both performer and audience
- relevance of live performance in the digital era
- manifesting the unconscious in performance – through dance
FOCUS ON PARTICIPANTS
- review of individual tasks
- questions and discussion between participants
- recapitulation and conclusion
ABOUT VALENTINA LACMANOVIĆ
Valentina is a French (Croatian born) artist living in Amsterdam. Holding an MA degree in Philosophy
(Aesthetic) from Université Paris 8, she also studied drama at prestigious CNSAD (National Academy
of Dramatic Arts) in Paris. Her body of work fluctuates between Dance, Video Art and Performance
Art. Her artwork is based on her research of the connection between trance-like rituals and
Since 2018 Valentina has been coaching research and performance projects at ACAPA (Academy of Circus and Performance Art, Fontys University, Tilburg, NL).
VALENTINA LACMANOVIĆ CV