The Biennale of New Movement is an interdisciplinary project that deals with the topic of the human instinct for survival. Although the word "survival" (lat. supervivere) in the literal translation "survive" most often refers to the physical struggle for the most basic needs such as food and water (physical existence), this project is focused on researching many other aspects of this term. How far someone is willing to go beyond their comfort in order to explore and create is what we want to touch with this project.
The goal of the project is to collect and preserve information about the work of individuals, artists or ordinary "little" people whose work, identified with their way of life, leaves a big mark on their lives as well as on the lives of others.
Author: Marija Šćekić
Đakovo: SLAVONIA VERTICAL TRAINING CENTER – NEW HORIZONS – Grand opening
- April 26. – 29. from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Artist In Residence – 1st international artist residency for research
new artistic forms.
Program supported by Arts Council England (Develop Your Practice Grant – David Greeves)
- April 26. – 27. from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Vertical animals – Contemporary dance and somatic movement workshop for led by the children of Ishita Raina (India/UK) and Marija Šćekić.
- 28. April from 15:00 – 19:00 h
Animalism – master class for actors, dancers and stage performers under leadership choreographer David Greeves from Cornwall, Great Britain.
- 29. April from 16:00 – 20:00 h
Vertical dance and local community - two seminars/lectures with a crowd audio-visual content, a short live performance and a film screening according to the following schedule:
- 16:00 – 16:15 • Biennale of the New Movement – introductory speech by the author
- 16:20 – 16:35 • Vertical Movement – episode 1 – vertical dance performance
- 16:45 – 17:20 • Estah's story – multimedia lecture under the guidance David Greeves
- 17:30 – 18:00 • Gates of Velebit – multimedia lecture under the guidance ofMarije Šćekić
- 18:15 – 19:00 h • Alka - Dance of Liberty – film projection of vertical dance plays
The program is co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Croatia.
- May 2. – 5. from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
Moving Bodies – artistic research and creation in the premises of the Prince's
Palace and Providuro's palaces - II Palaces.
Co-financed by the England Arts Council and the Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Croatia.
Starigrad Paklenica: VERTICAL DANCE FOR NATURE PROTECTION
- September 24. – 27. (Paklenica National Park)
Artist In Residence – Exploring new art forms for nature protection
- Interdisciplinary collaboration between visual artist Sarah E. Fuller (Canada - Iceland) and ornithologist Ph.D. Gordan Lukač on endangered endemic species of Paklenica National Park
- Creation of a new multimedia dance project at the intersection of art, science and new
technology co-produced by Marija Šćekić (Histeria Nova) and Julie Taffe (Aeriosa Dance
Collaboration financially supported by the Dance Victoria Foundation (Award: Crystal Dance Prize)
- September 25. – 26. (Velika Paklenica canyon)
Apolon – Vertical dance workshop for climbers, mountaineers and dancers (the workshop is at the same time, the audition for the play that will be performed in 2024 in the co-production of Histeria Nova (HR) – Aerioza Dance Company (KAN) – Jyskynna Vertical Theater (VB).
- September 26. (Visitor Center Underground City Paklenica)
Human intervention in nature – Presentation/seminar led by Sarah E. Fuller
Adaptation – Experimental dance performance in Velika Paklenica canyon
- September 27. (Visitor Center Underground City Paklenica)
Camouflage – Cyanotype photography workshop for the general public led by Sarah E. Fuller
Risk Management – Multimedia lecture on risks, dangers and prevention of injuries and damage to people and objects in vertical dance practice under guidance Colin Zacharias (Kan)
Program co-financed by Dance Victoria (Chrystal Dance Prize) and funds Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Croatia
Karlobag: MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN KAVA
- September 28. – Mihić Atelier / Mediterranean Garden Kava
Artist In Residence – Interdisciplinary collaboration of visual artists Sarah E. Fuller (Canada-Iceland) and ac. painter Sergi Mihić under the artistic direction of Julie Taffe and Maria Šćekić
- September 29. – Mihić Atelier / Mediterranean Garden Kava
Sunset Performance – Site specific experimental dance performance
Collaboration financially supported by the Dance Victoria Foundation (Award: Chrystal Dance Prize)
Đakovo: BIENNALE OF THE NEW MOVEMENT – Ceremonial closing
- October 02. – 06. SVTC
Artist In Residence – Exploring new forms
- Testing of new installation techniques and design of rigging systems in the vertical dance. Director of Insurance: Colin Zacharias (Aeriosa Dance Society, Canada)
- 2.) Adaptation of dance choreographies for performance at SVTC (collaboration Julia Taffe – Marija Šćekić)
- October 6. 20:00 h / SVTC
Equilibrium – reloaded – all evening a dance performance of vertical-somatic movement directed and choreographed by Marija Šćekić and performed by Aeriosa Dance Ensemble (Canada)
- October 7. from 18:00 – 20:00 h / SVTC
Flight School – performance from part of the play Julie Taffe performing Aeriosa Dance Society
Salmon Cycle – performance from part of the play Julie Taffe performed by Aeriosa Dance Society
Round table – conversation with artists (open to the general public)
- October 8. from 18:00 – 20:00 h / SVTC
A different perspective – Vertical dance for everyone – multimedia lecture/seminar by plans to launch the first inclusive vertical dance workshops in the Republic of Croatia under the leadership of Marija Šćekić i Marijana Rajić, president of the Association that cares for children with cerebral palsy and people with disabilities Šibenik-Knin County "Aurora".
The program is held as part of an interdisciplinary program platform called "The Dark Side of the Moon" in
cooperation with the Association for the care of children with cerebral
palsy and others physical damages
Program co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Croatia.