Vertical dance is a form of contemporary dance art created as a combination of various artistic and sports disciplines and represents an innovative, marginalized, technically demanding form of contemporary dance art. In April 2016, the artistic organization Histeria Nova officially organized the first professional workshop of vertical dance in the Republic of Croatia (Velika Paklenica canyon) and from September 2018 begins with the official professional education of vertical dance through three basic programs:
- 3-day workshop of somatic movement and vertical dance led by Marija Šćekić
- summer school of vertical dance and somatic learning led by choreographers from the world
- artistic collaborations, productions and co-productions
3-day workshops provide insight into the basics of vertical dance and somatic approach body movement. The training includes strengthening the center of the body, coordination of the body in the vertical, introduction to mountaineering equipment, basic body-spatial orientation and vertical dance vocabulary, and adapting the authentic movement material to the performance in the air.
In the later phase of education, the notion of weight, space, control and momentum is processed, and suspension, trajectory, risk-taking and learning of simpler dance sequences from Marija Šćekić's dance repertoire are developed.
Particularly successful participants will be able to independently explore different dance sequences on a rope with an emphasis on improving the quality of movement, the sensitivity of the rope-body relationship and the fluidity of movement in the air or on the wall.
Trainings in the first phase of work take place in the hall of the School of Natural Movement and in the later phase in public space (the wall of the captain's tower, the roof of the hall of Krešimir Ćosić, the rocks of the canyon of Velika Paklenica).
Duration of workshops
- 3 days / 3.5 hours a day (if the workshop is in Zadar)
- 2 days / 5 hours a day (in other cities of the Republic of Croatia)
- special projects – cooperation in the form of mentoring (individual instruction) on a specific vertical dance project / program
- for workshops in the city of Zadar – 1,200 kn (per person)
- For workshops in other cities – 14,500 kn (per group of max 8 participants)
The price includes the cost of mountaineering equipment and one rigger. The price does NOT include travel expenses and accommodation of the workshop leader and rigger (outside Zadar).
Information, applications and enrollments
For more information about all active programmes in 2020 please visit and/or join our official School of Natural Movement Facebook page.
Download Application Form